Wednesday, May 13, 2009

HELP! GET THIS 2ND GRADER OFF MY BACK!


While sitting at a traffic signal today, I was lamenting about the current state of my affairs. And by affairs, I mean my hips, gut, thighs and nether-regions. Nothing like a close-up, personal look at your lap at a stop light. Wow. So there I was, thinking that the amount of weight I have to lose is approximately that of a medium-sized 1st or 2nd grader. Or a really, really big toddler. And while I struggled to hold back the tears, I thought to myself--hey, it could be worse. It could be a Jr. High student, or half a little league team, or a Hefty Bag full of soggy leaves, or...you get the picture. Of course, gone are the days when I only had to lose a medium-sized roast, or a Thirst Buster cup full of rocks, but I've got to start somewhere, right? Why did those days seem so overwhelming at the time?
So, my large, robust self and I walked into the local library (that's where I was heading at the time, darn traffic signal) and checked out some healthy eating, inspirational cookbooks. I would like to insert an asterisk here *. If you are semi-hungry, NEVER sit and page through cookbooks in your local library. Even the endive and water chestnuts were jumping off the page at me. I persevered, and came home and ate a sensible dinner (I have the BEST recipe for Thai Style Chicken Soup EVER! The calories involved may not be exactly sensible, but the portion I ate was), and am going to once again begin an exercise program straight away. I am actually excited about this part...before starting my economy-necessitating 2nd job, I enjoyed working out 2-3 hours almost every day! Really, I did! My kids and I even got our black belts in Kung Fu--the toughest work-outs you'll ever love.
So, I will lovingly but firmly kick my own butt back into a reasonably pleasing shape, hopefully before my 40th birthday. Wish me luck, it's in July!

And now, for my visual imagery as I start the workout process:

HEY! How did THOSE get into my mental imagery process?! I'm SURE I wasn't thinking anything like that. I'll try again.That's what I thought.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Hey, your mental imagery looks a lot like mine! You're right, you can be glad it's just a 2nd grader you need to lose. For me, it's a whole freshman. A short gawky one.

I do wish you luck. We'll be sisters in the battle of the bulge!

The Blonde Duck said...

Good for you! It's hard to jump back into the excercise program!

Native American Momma said...

The first two were just inspiration to get you into the gym. Once you got there and saw they weren't hanging out there the third pic. will keep you there.

Jan Holt said...

Okay, I need to lose at least a 2nd grader myself and my 40th is next Monday. You've inspired me to redouble my efforts. Let's stay in touch and see if we can help each other get healthy!

Hugs,

Jan

Nicki said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog yesterday on my SITS day!! Good Luck in your quest to live healthier! You have a great attitude, and I know you can do it! It's great that you went to check out some cookbooks!!

JMBMOMMY said...

Oh my! Okay, I really needed to laugh. I have been trying to lose weight and get healthier since Jan--and even though I am exercising daily--almost up to an hour now...I haven't lost a dang pound. I was soo upset about the whole thing tonight...and then I read this. It not only encouraged me not to give up--it gave me a laugh I needed :)