Sunday, September 21, 2008

ARE THESE SALAD SOCKS?


Ah, the fun to be had in a kindergarten classroom! I subbed in one earlier in this week, and oh, what an adventure! If you overlook the vomiting, biting, scratching, and trying to escape school grounds, it was just an average sort of day. It happened to be silly sock day. One of the kind teachers a few doors down lent me a pair of her socks to wear (a good kindergarten teacher always has spares!), and we were on our way to patterning, rhyming, sockfuls of fun. Everyone was down on the carpet for story time, and we were comparing the different characteristics on our socks--some had stripes, some had polka dots, and others had pictures. All was going quite well until one little boy announced that he had on salad socks. Now, I know my way around a conversation with the little folk, and quickly asked him if he could think of some different words to tell us about his socks, to help us understand better. He looked at me and thoughtfully said, "Yes, Mrs. B., my socks are all the same color, they are salad." Solid, salad--work with vowels will be forthcoming, I think.

1 comment:

Mary said...

So cute! My students say funny things, too, but most are not repeatable . . .